Summary: MBOX is a file format used by many well-known email clients, but users may want to import MBOX to Gmail account for several reasons. In this technical blog, users will find useful information related to different situations, which leads to the need for moving the .mbox files into the cloud-based G mail accounts. Also, we will introduce some solutions which any user can them to easily complete their data while taking less time.
Gmail is a service that Google offers for emailing purposes and is currently ruling the email client market. It offers some of the best-in-class functionalities, making it easier for users to improve their emailing experience. Instead, the MBOX file, used by open source email client like Thunderbird to save their user’s complete data. If we talk about the market share of Gmail, its stands out at round 41. 55 %.
Are you looking for a reliable and quicker option to import MBOX to Gmail, then you have reached the right page, where we will guide you through the step-by-step process to transfer the data from the MBOX files into the Gmail accounts. Prior we start with the solution part; we’ll discuss some of the reasons which make users look towards Gmail.
Quick Glimpse About Reasons to Import MBOX Files into Gmail
User’s ways of working have changed a lot in this decade. Now, several organizations, regardless of size, are looking to move towards a cloud-based emailing service that offers better data safety and collaboration functions. Gmail is of an example of them, which is ruling the emailing platform market. We have listed some of the key features of Gmail that draw the attention of many users.
- Gmail comes with better security as all user data saved on the cloud, which is why most users are looking to migrate towards it.
- Users using the email client that supports MBOX files and looking to shift to Gmail.
- Gmail makes it easier to share documents with others and offers large storage space to store data.
- Due to the IMAP and POP protocols, Gmail lets users add their accounts on other emailing clients like Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.
Now, let’s look at the options available to import MBOX to Gmail, including the manual and the third-party software. So, kindly follow the procedure below to move your MBOX files swiftly.
Manual Way to Import User MBOX Files to Gmail Account
It is quite challenging for those who did have lesser knowledge to transfer the MBOX file into Gmail. In addition, it is essential to understand the procedure involved in the import process. However, the task to import MBOX to Gmail will not be a straightforward process as MBOX is a database file and Gmail is an email service.
So, we have shared methods by choosing them, and user can successfully and safely import their MBOX files.
Step-by-Step Approach to Configure Gmail account into Thunderbird
To successfully import the MBOX files to Gmail, users need to first download the Thunderbird on their system. Later on, start configuring your Gmail account within Thunderbird. To check how to import MBOX to Gmail, follow a couple of simpler steps.
- Open the Thunderbird application on your system.
- Then, make click on the menu option and select Account Setting from the top-right of Thunderbird in order to add the new Gmail account.
- At the bottom, click on Account Action and hit on Add mail account option.
- To help with configuring the newer email address on Thunderbird, kindly enter the required credentials, such as Full Name, Email Address, and Password. Click on the continue button to move on.
- Users can select from IMAP & POP3 configuration options. Here we are choosing the IMAP.
- It will now redirect users to the login page of Gmail. Mention the Gmail id and password, and then click on the Sign in button.
- Now, click on Allow to provide Gmail account access permission to Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Open Thunderbird, where you will see that your new account has been created successfully. Make sure to now click on Finish.
- Once done with the listed procedure, your Gmail account will be added to Thunderbird.
User can also directly import their MBOX files into their Gmail account, which is now configured in Thunderbird. However, this will be quite hectic for users to follow such a long procedure. Conversely, looking at the third-party utility to import MBOX to Gmail is much easier. Now we will start giving you a brief about one such software.
Using Professional Software Import MBOX Files Directly into your Gmail Account
Weeom G Suite Backup & Restore tool is one of the most advanced utilities designed while keeping the user requirements. This software makes it easier to import MBOX to Gmail while ensuring data safety during the process. Even this advanced tool sustains the folder hierarchy, making it easier for a user to navigate to their data in the target environment.
This software helps to complete the process in less time because of its intuitive user interface. It includes an advanced set of functionalities like the incremental export, which helps at those times when the user looks to resume the interrupted import task. In addition, users can also benefit from the software data filter option, which is beneficial when the user looks to eliminate any selective item from the process.
However, to analyze how this software performs, users can install its free demo version, which will have the same set of features as the paid version. We have also shared the procedure to import MBOX to Gmail using this software.
Follow a couple of simple steps to import MBOX files into Gmail:-
- Firstly, open the Weeom G Suite and Restore tool.
- Go to the restore tab of the Software.
- Now, click on the add project button for adding up the required MBOX file.
- In the restore wizard, the user should mention the project name and add a mbox file.
- Click on add a project to create the connection of G Suite with the software. Here user needs to mention some details such as project name, email address, Service Account ID, and P 12 File path. Click connect button.
- Apply the software data filter option as per your need.
- The tool will now start importing the user’s MBOX files to their Gmail account.
Following a few steps, users can easily import MBOX to Gmail without facing any issues. Also, the folder hierarchy will remain similar to what exactly it was in the MBOX file.
We hope you will find the information related to the methodologies to securely transfer user MBOX files to the target (Gmail account). In this write-up, we have focused on some commonly used manual solutions to import MBOX to Gmail and third-party software. However, before making any decision, it is best to utilize a third party as discussed in this blog.